Friday, June 20, 2008

vesti la giubba - luciano pavarotti

More photos, though because I'm an idiot, I didn't remember to upload new photos from this week. So this week's photo post has stuff from February in NY and also from the NDB dance showcase, since I've been looking at the photos from those things for a presentation I've been working on. So yes. Enjoy, and comment, please!

IMG_5167

This is in Greenwich Village, down a sort of older looking street. It's a pretty little area and we were standing around in the street to get out of the wind while the tour guide, Gideon, gave some general information. Unfortunately, the street acted as more of a wind tunnel and if you look down in the lower right corner, you can see one of the girls from my school trying to get out of the wind.

IMG_5995

And this rather abstract type shot is from Santa Cruz. I was on the beach with my youth council buddies and, as always, I was just snapping away. Someone was writing on the beach and I think this was supposed to say hello. Anyway, she's standing on the o, so it says hell and beyond that, the shadow is pretty. So yes. I like the clean sort of look it has going on, there's not a lot going on that's going to pull your eye all over the place.

IMG_6161

Ok, so I'm thinking I wasn't being entirely honest when said this was all going to be from NY in February and the dance showcase. This photo is from NY though, just from April rather than February. Mom and Tina and Le and I went out on a walk from Leslie and Pat's house and when we got to the end of the street, I noticed this building. The title of the photo is Memento Mori, which is a Latin phrase meaning 'Remember you must die.' I think it's fitting, especially considering it's the photo I ended my book on. Anyway, what with the sort of dead look of the trees and the coldness of winter (though it was really spring) it's just an interesting title for that sort of look.

IMG_6427

This is actually from the dance showcase, during the first numbers when the girls were dancing down the isles. With it being so damn dark, I got a very blurry shot but I think that makes it more interesting. You can't really tell who the dancer is and there's not a lot of distinguishing stuff in it but I find that interesting. Also, the chairs make for rather unusual shapes with the sort of shaky lines.

IMG_6460

More dance stuff. This dancer is really quite good and while I did get some very sharp, more professional looking shots of her, this is really one of my favorites. Doesn't that shadow just look totally impish? Like some sort of pixie or something. I love it! It totally expresses to me the sort of playful side that I see in her. And it talks a lot about the multiple sides of a person. Look at the playful shapes of her shadow and then the more sort of serious dancer of her actual self. It's an interesting image to say the least!

IMG_6612

Last dance shot shot, this is one of the girls during one of the more risque pieces. I found it interesting though, there's a lot of life to be had in this image, a lot of movement. Once more, you've got the thing with no distinguishing features to speak of and a lot of sort of blurry lines. I used to really hate all the blurriness that comes with dance photos but now I'm just totally in love with that stuff. Blurry and strange lines are just strange and weird and so much fun!

IMG_6849

And this is the San Mateo tea garden. It was a flower that I ran into on my little photo walk with Julie. It's a really pretty, bright thing and that makes me happy. I'm kind of enjoying indulging my pretty pink photo. It's pretty and not particularly deep or anything but it's good and fun and.. blah, I've run out of interesting things to say, probably because it's obscenely late and I'm tired like no one's buisness.


So that's it for this week. Thanks to Gian for the wonderful comment last week, it like totally made my day!! That's all now, time for bed.

1 comment:

changapeluda said...

Flowers are Amazing!
Dancing girls are Amazing!
Black and white pix of New York
are just the thing.
that first photo, even after you said there was a girl trying to get outta the wind....
i didn't see her until i went back for a second look....
she's like a little pearl, hiding out....
:0]

you know, i wondered if people were lurkin 'round my blog....
nice to know it was you



so that "risque" pic
is she takin' her clothes off??
Is she from France?
is she wearing underpants?

It's nice, the blurriness....it speaks of movement and smoooth kinda vagued (i think i made that word up) out lines....

you got a lotta coolness goin' on, IMHO.